Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Medical Update: Stroke Signs, Aneurysm Indications - Symptoms of a Stroke - Kenneth Wogensen, MD

Stroke : How to Treat Stroke Naturally - VitaLife Show Episode 201




Welcome to the VitaLife Show I'm Dr.
Janine Bowring a naturopathic doctor
and today's topic is all about stroke
and how to treat stroke or prevent
stroke and do it naturally I thank all
of our Subscribers I love you guys
thanks for leaving all your comments and
your questions we do get back to
everyone so please make sure that at the
end this video you're leaving your
questions and comments at the end of the
video also be sharing some great links
to her other videos and some of our most
popular ones all here on VitaLife Show
about how to get healthy from
the inside out so in terms of stroke
their different causes for stroke it
could be age-related different
medications increase your risk for
stroke diabetes and unstable blood
glucose levels also is a risk factor for
developing stroke high blood pressure
and of course smoking so how do we treat this
naturally and how do we prevent stroke
increase exercise so doing you know some
form of cardiovascular as well as weight
training exercise is very important on a
daily basis to help to keep the blood
flowing and to keep your heart and your
cardiovascular system in your
circulation strong as well as decreasing
stress levels those you know any person
that I've ever seen that has suffered a
stroke there's always been a mental and
emotional aspect preceding the stroke
and this is so so important that you
know we're always managing our stress we
can't get away from it we need to manage
it and handle it appropriately
controlling our blood glucose levels
is really important as well and we
actually at VitaTree here have a
wonderful formulation called VitaMucil
this is a soluble fiber helps to
stabilize our blood glucose levels
stabilizer insulin and helped to feel
make you feel full so you can use this
before a meal to help with you know
making you feel full so that you end up
actually eating less about great for
people that are trying to lose weight in
magnesium now this is a really really
important mineral that's needed for the
prevention of heart disease and stroke
and helps to relax the blood vessels in
this is important in terms of
maintaining proper blood flow
detoxification I'm sort of the queen of
detoxification so so important to always
get those toxins in the blood as well as
the internal organ and we actually
formulated VitaDetox here at VitaTree so do
check at vitatree.com for
detoxifying all of those internal organs
which is really important fish oil as
well, so VitaFish Oil one of our
creations easy to take fish oil
supplement that's really really high and
the DHA which again is a natural
anti-inflammatory helps to keep the
blood vessel walls clear of plaque
formation because often it's a plaque
that actually dislodges from the
blood vessel walls and can then cause
that stroke so this is something
that taken on a daily basis the VitaFish
Oil we have lots of other great full
protocol on treating and preventing
stroke it be coming up in my new book
the sequel of the healthy millionaire so
check that out once it releases and
again I thank you for joining me today
so leave your questions and comments
below
like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
@vitatree and always Subscribe to
this channel and all your
friends to Subscribe as well so you get
our newest and latest uploads here on
the VitaLife Show on YouTube getting
healthy from the inside out and doing it
naturally which is the key
check out our other videos I promise to
show you the links click up here
more on detoxification, click here in the
middle this one is really interesting
and I want you all to pay attention to
is magnesium stearate this is what all
the other supplement companies are using
we don't use it here at VitaTree because
it has no negative side effect decreases
the absorption and some safety issues as
well which is really important for you
to know so magnesium stearate check all
your vitamins at home, it should never
contain that ingredient and check out that
video
so know more about that and yoga facial exercises
which is absolutely love so check those out
as well thanks for joining me today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShA1mRM_Wb4


Pediatric Exams: Stroke in Children




>> Hello my name is Dr. Rebecca Ichord. I'm
a neurologist at The Children's Hospital of
Philadelphia and director of the Pediatrics
Stroke Program. Stroke in childhood is an
important problem. Although it's rare, when
it happens, it's a serious emergency and it's
important for the general public as well as
health practitioners to understand the
signs and symptoms.
In the case of a child having an acute stroke,
their symptoms may be among the following:
They may suddenly have difficulty understanding
where they are, who's around them. They may
have sudden loss of their ability to speak
or understand speech. They may suddenly lose
the ability to see things on one side of their
body. They may have sudden loss of strength
or sensation involving the face, the arm and
the hand or the leg. Or they may have sudden
difficulty in balance and gait.
And if these symptoms should occur, the child
should be considered to possibly be having
a stroke. And the thing to do in that situation
would be to have the child lie flat, do not
give him anything to eat or drink, and call
911. And when the emergency responders arrive
they should be told that the child's having
signs and symptoms of what could be a stroke.
We call this a brain attack and it should
be treated as an emergency.
Today we're going to do a check-up of a young
man who had a stroke sometime in the past.
And he has kindly allowed us to check him
out today so we can show some of the signs
and symptoms that we might see on an examination.
Are you ready? All right, tell me your name.
>> And so I'm checking to see if he's aware
of himself and his surroundings. And who's
that lady over there?
>> My grandma.
>> OK, and so you know where you are?
>> CHOP
>> That's right. And what year is it?
>> 2015.
>> OK, so we figured out that you know who
you are, who's around you, where you are and
the date. And this is what we call orientation.
A child who is having an acute stroke may
have some confusion and be unable to describe
where he is or who is around him.
Now I'm going to ask you to do some little
tests that have to do with your speech. And
testing speech is a very critical part of
evaluating for signs and symptoms of a stroke.
Some children may only have a loss of their
speech as the sign of their stroke. And so I'm
going to ask you to do a few things.
Let's do, let's see if you can repeat what
I say. Little children like to play outdoors.
>> Little children like to play outdoors.
>> Excellent, so I'm listening to hear how
well he can formulate the words, how well
he can make the sounds clear. Now I'm going
to ask you to remember some words that I'm
going to ask you to say. We call this recall.
And I'll ask you now, and then I'll ask you
again a little bit later. And tht's called
delayed recall. Children who have an acute
stroke may have trouble with recalling, or
remembering words that they had just heard.
You ready? Red, pencil, bridge. Go ahead and
tell me.
>> Red, pencil, bridge
>> 100%, I'll ask you again in a few minutes.
Now I'm going to ask you to name some things.
So naming is another aspect of speech. And
some children have difficulty with naming
objects. So here we go. See these pictures,
these are very simple, easy pictures. I want
you to say the name of each thing. You ready?
And what do you call that?
>> Clock, T-shirt, pencil, baseball, skateboard
and bike
>> Excellent, so he got them all correct.
And in addition I could understand the words
very clearly. In a child who's having a stroke
that affects speech, they have trouble getting
the word out, or they may say the wrong word,
or they may not be able to say the word at
all. So your naming is great.
All right, let's move on to some other things.
Now I'm going to look at your vision. I want
you to look at my nose right here. And first
of all I notice that when you look at me,
your eyes are looking straight ahead. And
if I move your eyes follow me. So that tells
me that you're able to see things well enough
to have your eyes look where they need to
look. And children who have a sudden loss
of vision on one side, their eyes may prefer
to stay looking in one direction. So it's
very good, it's very normal that your eyes
are looking straight at me.
And now I'm going to test each eye by itself.
And this is a way that we can tell if the
vision problem is involving both eyes or just
one, or it's in the brain. Looking right here
at my nose I'm going to cover your eye. And
keep looking straight at my nose. Now what
this is is called testing visual fields. And
it's simply showing a number and you tell
me how many fingers you see. Ready, how many?
>> One, two
>> How many?
>> Two, one
>> Good, so I'm showing a finger in each field
and to see if he can check them. And he got
them all right. Ready, here we go with the
other eye.
>> Two, four, one, two
>> OK, so in the case of a child having a
stroke, if I cover one eye and if I show him
numbers over here and he gets these correctly,
then I know this visual field is normal. If
I show them over here, for example, and he
can't see them clearly on this side, that
would mean that he has what we call visual
field loss. And that's a typical kind of abnormality
in an acute stroke that helps us neurologists
to figure out where the problem might be.
Very good, OK, now let's see how your eyes
are moving. Can you look at my thumb? And
watch where it goes. Very good, and so his
eyes are able to follow in all directions.
And in some children who have certain areas
of the brain that control eye movements, where
there is a stroke in that location, they may
not be able to move their eyes in all directions.
But you did 100%.
OK, let's look at your face. Can you give
me that big smile again, excellent. And so
we notice that his face is very strong, that
his smile is very strong on both sides. And
in the case of a child who has an acute stroke,
the one side of the smile might be not present
and be very weak. All right, let's have you
close your eyes really, really tight. And
you can see that he's able to squeeze his
eyes tight on both sides. In a child who's
having an acute stroke with weakness of the
face, they may not be able to close the weak
side of the face, that eye very tightly. That's
good you can open your eyes. Your eyes, your
face is very strong.
And now just again look straight at me, I'm
going to check the sensations. So I want you
to tell me if the two sides feel the same
or different.
>> Same
>> Same?
>> Same, same
>> And let's go on down to your arms. Same
or different?
>> Same
>> Same or different?
>> Same
>> Same or different?
>> Same
>> And again, in the case of a child who might
have a stroke that affects sensations on one
side, they may tell me that on one side of
their body or one side or their face, it doesn't
feel the same as the other side. I'm going
to check your ability to hear. Ready? OK,
I want you to point to where you hear the
sound.
Good, very good. So again, in a child how
might have loss in their hearing you would
expect to see possibly some loss in being
able to detect hearing that little soft brush
of the fingers on one side.
OK, let's move on down, we're doing great
here. Can you show how you shrug your shoulders?
All right, and what we notice is that his
shoulder is a little weak on that side, he
can't raise it quite as much. Although he
is trying really hard. OK, that's good. So
there's weakness on that side. And then let's
look at your arms, can you hold your arms
up like this for me? How about keeping them
straight in front? And I'm going to let go.
Keep your arms in front of you like that,
and then try to turn your arm over like this.
And so you can see this side moves very well,
but this side he can't move quit so well.
And that's because there's weakness on this
side of the body.
And again, in the case of a stroke, a child
may be unable to lift that arm, or open their
hands. Let's see both of these hands, can
you make that hand spread open? Beautiful,
and make it a little "O" like that. And make
your hands tap like that. And that's good,
that's what we like to see. And the weak side,
he can't really make the hands open. Let's
see what you can do. I know you're willing
it, and it just won't open. And how about
if you try to make that "O". Can't quite do
it. And can you tap it at all, no?
So he's lost the fine dexterity and the strength
that it takes to control that hand in a normal
way. And so that's what we might see in a
child who has a stroke that affects strength
on one side of their body. And it tends to
especially involve the face and the arm and
the hand. And then we see that combination,
then that's a situation where we especially
would worry about a stroke being, going on
in that child.
So let's see onto your legs now, right. So
let's see, can you lift this knee up in the
air like this? Good, keep it there really
strong. And I'm pushing, pushing, and I can't
push it at all. So that's very strong. How
about this one? And you're having to work
just a little harder to make that strong.
Let's make your legs straight now. Keep it
there nice and strong. And I'm gonna try and
bend it. And I'm not able to bend it because
it's too strong. OK, how about this one?
So right away we can notice that this leg,
he can't quite get it all the way straight.
And if I try to push it down, I'm able to
push it down a little bit. And so that's again,
sign of weakness. And so what we see is weakness
of the shoulder, the arm, the hand and the
leg. And that's the typical distribution,
the typical location of loss of strength involving
someone who has a stroke.
That's right, OK, now let's check your walking,
you ready? There we go, can you stand over
here? That's it. And what you may notice is
that because the left leg is a little bit
weak, he can't really keep it straight. And
also the left arm is a little weak so it tends
to kind of hang here a little bit more than
the right side.
Now let's see how you can walk. And so he
can't really push off quiet as strong with
that left side. And come on back this way.
And that left side just can't make it, can't
make it as strong and straight as the right
side. All right, very good, you can sit up
here. Very good. And you can see, he's figured
out how to get around even though he's weak
on that left side. But even though he's figured
it out, he still has a little trouble and
has to compensate for the weakness in that
left side.
Alright, do you remember those three words?
What were they?
>> Red, pencil and bridge
>> Excellent, so his recall is very good.
All right, I think we're done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwKovYEGqW0

No comments:

Post a Comment