Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Bowel Woes Linked To Heart Trouble - Do Statins Help COPD Patients?

2015 Local Go Red Spokeswoman - Jessica Diaz




(piano music)
^ - The day of my stroke, I had taught two barre classes
^ in the morning and then took a class.
I was in the shower and all of a sudden
I felt a shooting pain down the left side of my body,
and it was really quick, maybe 30 seconds.
And then I went to lift my arm,
and it was almost the sensation that it wasn't my arm.
Like, I could see it moving, but I couldn't feel it moving,
and then it went back to normal in, like, 20 seconds.
So I got out of the shower, and I went and told my husband.
I was like, "Oh my gosh. Something really strange
"just happened to me."
He's like, "Well, are you okay now?"
I'm like, "Yeah, I guess so."
So it was definitely significant enough
to know that something was happening,
but not what I had imagined stroke to be.
So I called my primary and told her,
and she said, "You know, probably might be nothing,
"but just to be safe, go to the emergency room."
Until this point, I thought I was having a migrane
or I was dehydrated.
Never in a million years occurred to me
that it was a stroke.
After I was admitted, they did all the tests.
They determined I had a PFO.
My stroke, because it was so quick,
it didn't feel, to me, at all like what I had imagined
a stroke would be, so, I mean, I obviously was not
very well-informed about stroke.
(gentle piano and violin music)
I almost didn't go to the hospital that day,
and had I had not gone, I would've woken up the next day
fine and kept on going and never would've found out
that I'd had the stroke or taken the measures
that I did this year to reduce my risk
of having another one.
I think the most important message is that if you know
that you're having or stroke or you know something's wrong,
and you get help right away.
I am perfectly fine today because I went
and got help right away.
If I had ignored it, who knows?
Like my neurologist said, my massive stroke
could've been a day away, a month away, a year away.
Nobody knows.
(gentle piano music)
And it's more that how important it is to be aware
of the signs and symptoms and stroke so that if you do
see it happening, you get treated right away.
(gentle piano and violin music)
I go red for my family and to help bring awareness
about the signs and symptoms of stroke.
(gentle piano and violin music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeJ5sDylMzw


Getting A Handle On Hypertension




If a condition causes no visible symptoms,
it can seem easy enough to ignore it. But
experts stress that out of sight, out of mind
could spell trouble when it comes to high
blood pressure. I'm Lindsay Liepman and this
is a health feature.
Chronic high blood pressure, or hypertension,
often causes no symptoms but can lead to serious
issues like stroke and heart attack. Dr. David
Winter, president, chief clinical officer
and chairman of the board of HealthTexas Provider
Network, a division of Baylor Health Care
System, expands on the condition.
"Hypertension is a disease caused from high
blood pressure and high blood pressure just
means the pressure in your arteries is higher
than normal. Now most folks with high blood
pressure don't have any symptoms. But it's
still bad to have that. Think of this: your
heart pumps, your blood vessels dilate and
contract - if there's lots of pressure, they
dilate and contract more so which can put
stress and strain on the vessels and they
can eventually wear out, burst or develop
blockages"
Because of this, detecting hypertension, which
can often be a genetic condition, can be important
to good health. And according to Dr. Winter,
there are many good medications for treating
hypertension today. With multiple options
on the market, most people can find the right
fit for managing their blood pressure without
side effects. Some common types of high blood
pressure medication are diuretics and beta-blockers.
But what about non-medication approaches?
Dr. Winter has a few suggestions.
"Certainly, there's a genetic tendency so
if your genetically determined to get high
blood pressure you may get it no matter what
you do. But if your prone to get that, if
it's in your family, reducing salt, keeping
your body weight ideal and exercising regularly
can lower that. Some people also think that
smoking can increase the rate of high blood
pressure. So you can lower your chances of
getting that"
â€&lsqauo;So speak with your doctor today about checking
your blood pressure and how to improve your
overall health to best avoid the condition.
â€&lsqauo;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zukO9PpFstY

No comments:

Post a Comment